GI Bill® Benefits

WGU is proud to offer VA benefits-approved education programs under the Montgomery GI Bill. Reserve and National Guard members may also qualify based on their own GI Bill guidelines. Eligibility and disbursement amounts will vary depending on a number of factors, including your term of military service, years of service, etc.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

The combination of WGU's affordable tuition rates and veteran benefits means good news for veteran students. Many are able to cover the entire cost of their education and related materials.

Upon your acceptance into WGU Nevada, an Enrollment Counselor will refer you to WGU’s VA Department. They will provide you with a list of required paperwork and instructions.

Tuition Assistance

Active-duty, Reserve, and National Guard members may qualify for tuition assistance at WGU. Military personnel may apply through their base education officer or other standard methods. Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to learn more.

Learn more about WGU's Tuition Assistance program.

Learn more about WGU Scholarships specially designed for military personnel, veterans, and spouses.

All WGU programs are approved for education benefits by the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Learn more about WGU Nevada's online degree programs:

Request Info Apply Now

Questions and Answers

Select a question from the left, see the answer to the right.

Will I qualify for full-time or ¾-time VA benefits?

The GI Bill is very generous for WGU students. As a WGU student, you may choose to qualify for either full-time, 3/4-time, or half-time benefits in an undergraduate program. (Half-time benefits are considered to be 12 competency units, a standard full-time load for undergraduate students at WGU.) You can vary your attendance time from term to term. Graduate students will always qualify for full-time benefits when enrolled in the minimum requirement of 8 competency units.

Can I also get financial aid?

Because any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is not considered income, it should not be reported on your application for financial aid as such. Submitting a FAFSA is necessary to know whether you qualify for a Pell Grant and/or student loans. Students utilizing Military Tuition Assistance funds must indicate this on their FAFSA as an additional resource toward their tuition cost which may affect the amount of their award. Click here to learn more about or apply for financial aid.

How quickly can I get my VA money?

After you have started your degree program and developed your personalized Degree Plan, the VA department at WGU will certify your program of study to the VA. This is done by the third week of the first month of each term. You should receive your first benefit payment within 5-8 weeks after a certification is submitted each term. You should then regularly receive a monthly payment after the last day of each month and your verification of attendance (if applicable). But first, you must apply to WGU and be admitted. And you will need to have received notice of your VA education benefit eligibility. WGU’s VA department can help you complete the necessary steps for attendance certification.

Will I get credit for my military experience?

WGU does not award traditional “credits” directly for military experience, but an incoming student may have certain requirements waived when the military experience has been ACE-reviewed and applied directly to the WGU degree program. WGU can also waive requirements based upon DANTES and CLEP exams that match with WGU program requirements and meet minimum grading standards. A transcript review is required to determine exactly what can be waived. More importantly, everything you’ve learned that’s relevant to your degree program can potentially help you accelerate your degree. Talk to an Enrollment Counselor to get a detailed explanation. If you have served in any branch of the military you should be able to obtain a military transcript—WGU’s VA department can direct you to the online resources to request it.

How do my Post 9/11 education benefits work at WGU?

Post 9/11 (CH 33) benefits are paid differently than older chapters. Based on your entitlement—which is factored from your length of qualifying active-duty service—a percentage of your tuition and fees will be sent directly to the school. 100 percent entitlement will cover your tuition and fees completely each term you have remaining entitlement. You will also receive a monthly stipend sent directly to you if you are not on active duty or the spouse of an active-duty service member utilizing a transfer of entitlement. This payment is 50 percent of the amount paid to a student attending an on-campus school, multiplied by your rate of pursuit. In an undergraduate program, 18 CU’s is considered 100 percent pursuit, but you do not have to enroll in 18 CU’s to get the benefit. 12-17 CU’s will be paid at the corresponding lesser percentage. In a graduate program, 8 CU’s is considered 100 percent pursuit. You will also receive a book stipend once each term up to the capped amount for your entitlement.

Schema Markup for WGU Nevada Logo

You’re using an unsupported version of your browser..

You’ll still have full access to the site, but some functionality may be lost. For the best experience, upgrade your browser by following the links below.