A new kind of university for Nevada: An online university designed to prepare Nevadans for 21st century careers
WGU Nevada is an online, competency-based university designed to expand access to higher education for Nevada residents. Established by the state of Nevada in partnership with Western Governors University, WGU Nevada is designed to serve the needs of Nevada citizens. WGU Nevada offers more than 50 accredited bachelor’s and master’s degrees in high-demand career fields.
The principal goal of WGU Nevada is to open doors to higher education for adult learners through:
- Access to quality education. An online, Nevada-based university, WGU Nevada grants access to nationally recognized degree programs to all Nevadans who can complete a challenging online program.
- Career-focused bachelor's and master's degrees. WGU Nevada offers rigorous degree programs in Business, Information Technology, K-12 Teacher Education, and Health Professions (including Nursing) that are relevant to the needs of Nevada employers.
- Affordable tuition. A nonprofit university, WGU Nevada’s tuition is among the lowest in the state, comparing very favorably to Nevada’s public colleges and universities.
- Flexible online degree program. At WGU Nevada, you will leverage the power of online learning to make your program as flexible as possible. You'll be able to balance work and family obligations while you complete your studies.
Accreditation and Recognition
WGU is regionally, NCATE, and CCNE* accredited. WGU is also a USDLA 21st Century Distance Learning Award recipient for its leadership in distance education.
*The bachelor's and master's degree programs at WGU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791).Read More
A Proven Academic Model from a Nationally Recognized University, Customized for Nevadans
WGU Nevada is Nevada's only competency-based university, leveraging a unique approach to education pioneered by our parent institution, Western Governors University (WGU), which was founded by 19 U.S. governors in 1997, including the Governor of Nevada.
As part of a partnership with the state of Nevada, WGU provides the curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services for WGU Nevada.
What this means for WGU Nevada students:
- Competency-based education model that measures learning, not seat time. WGU Nevada employs a unique competency-based approach to education. You'll advance in your degree program based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in your chosen field.
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU's courses of study, online learning modules, electronic textbooks, web-based tutorials, and simulations as you work to complete your program.
- Affordable flat-rate tuition. At WGU Nevada, you pay a flat-rate tuition. Unlike traditional colleges and universities, WGU Nevada operates on six-month terms that can begin on the first day of any month, rather than semesters. Your own commitment and effort determine how much you can complete during each six-month term, which allows you to shorten your time to completion. Thus, the faster you progress, the lower your total and the more you save.
- Full accreditation. WGU Nevada degrees are granted under the current accreditation of Western Governors University, which is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Teachers college programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and Nursing bachelor’s and master’s programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, 202-887-6791).
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. Online doesn't mean alone at WGU Nevada. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your personal point of contact and your guide throughout your degree. You'll find that you'll actually receive greater support from your mentor than you ever did in a traditional classroom setting.
- An online community for Nevada students and access to WGU's national student community. You'll also be able to take advantage of WGU's student community and interact with students both within Nevada and from all over the country and abroad.
A Nevada University on a Mission
WGU Nevada was established in 2015 as a part of Western Governors University with a unique mission to help Nevadans obtain a quality education. When WGU was established in 1997, the founding governors which included the governor of Nevada realized that technology, the internet, and a new model of competency-based education could transform higher education by creating new opportunities for working adults.
The mission of WGU Nevada is to expand access to affordable higher education for Nevada residents through online, competency-based programs that address key workforce needs.
"Trying to cherry-pick college courses at brick-and-mortars didn’t really work so well. Then I found WGU online and it wound up being too perfect, especially since it was competency-based. I would not have my degree and would still be in school today if I had not chosen WGU." Jennifer Knight,
B.A. Special Education, Las Vegas
About WGU Nevada’s Faculty
Student learning is the primary focus of the faculty at WGU Nevada and the parent institution Western Governors University. Because of our unique student-centric, competency-based approach, faculty serve in different roles compared to traditional schools and other online schools. Read more.Request More Information